Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Grey Jay painting in watercolour

Grey Jay
Daily painting #38
watercolor on 140lb vellum mixed media paper

6x6 inches

Click here to purchase!

 Today it's raining.  My kind of day.  
My joints don't like the transition
when it's ABOUT to rain but once the rain starts, I'm a 
happy little pluviophile
(aka lover of rain)

It's been ages since I painted a bird, and I was
reminded recently that Canada has chosen - maybe not
officially but close enough - the Grey Jay as our
national bird.  

why, you ask?

Because it's so gosh darn friendly, just like us. 


After I sketched my bird, I went straight to the branches.
There's a nifty trick I learned a while back on how to paint
branches with a credit card.  It's the only way to go!
You dip the side of a credit card (the more scratched up the better)
into a puddle of paint that isn't too watery like so:


Then you drag it across the paper to make a tree or branch shape:


It's a cool trick!


No comments: