Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Montmartre street scene acrylic painting



I am working from photographs and memory lately - combining architectural elements with the way each photo makes me feel as I remember being in that particular place in time. I've been doing a lot of journaling for the last year and something that keeps coming up is how happy I am when it rains. I haven't been able to express exactly how I feel in watercolour lately, so I'm taking an Acrylic journey, if you will.

This is a small value sketch I've composed on a scrap of tinted mat board, ready to be used when I put paint to canvas.  I have taken all sorts of liberties with regard to details.  I have removed everything that I feel isn't necessary - even the lovely lamp post.  
I've added a figure and a small animal where I want to draw the eye - loosely based on the golden ratio (picture a shell spiralling inward from the top right corner - as the spirals grow tighter they will form a focal point right around the spot where the sidewalk juts inward on the right.  Interestingly, this also happens to be a prominent perspective point: you may notice that the angles on the buildings appear to converge at the same point. 

I've prepped a 30" x 40" stretched canvas with a mix of white gesso and raw umber acrylic paint.  Will post pics along the way.  



And for those of you who have stuck around, waiting for me to blog again, I thank you. I finally feel like I have something to say again!

Christy

No comments: