Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Inspiration abounds at the Pittsburgh National Aviary



It's been a while since I put the "Travel" back in my blog.  
This past weekend I resolved to fix that, so I went on a trip.  
With a fully charged battery in my camera, and a tank full of gas, 
I was on my way to be inspired.

Destination: Pittsburgh, PA.

What's a girl to do in Pittsburgh?  Oh boy,  the possibilities!
I stayed in the funky artistic community of Lawrenceville which allowed for a lot of walking and easy access to all the major roadways.  Exploring the surrounding neighbourhood in the early morning fog was absolutely beautiful.


When the sun came up, I went straight to the Strip District - not for Pin Up inspiration, but for much-needed espresso from 21st Street Coffee & Tea, and piping hot little donuts from the delightful Peace, Love and Little Donuts (so good I had to pick up a few more on the way out of town!)




Next stop:  The National Aviary.
It's pretty obvious that I love to paint birds, so it follows that an Aviary is one of my favourite places to be. 
I took a ridiculous amount of pictures, enjoyed a live show called "Beaks", and ended the day by sitting in the neighbouring park watching the ducks.  


Today I've made some sketches and will be ready to begin painting tomorrow.  I will be working not only in ACEO but in other sizes, too, starting with a couple 5x7s.

Where have you found inspiration lately?

2 comments:

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

Looks like a fun trip, love the Gouldian finch... I had a pair about 15 years ago or so and loved them, so pretty!

Margaret Gough said...

Looks like a fabulous trip Christy! Look forward to seeing your new work when it is completed!