Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dog Days of Winter



Dog Days of Winter!

I've been working on these dogs for longer than I'd care to admit, but I am very happy with the results.

All three dogs are painted on pre-stretched canvas, primed with Daniel Smith Watercolor Ground.

The challenge for me was making sure that all three paintings worked well together, but also that each painting could stand well on its own.  To achieve this,  I worked with a limited palette and used the same colours in each painting.  When you work from the same palette, you ensure a certain uniformity throughout.

For these paintings I used the following Daniel Smith watercolours:

Permanent Alizarin Crimson
Indanthrone Blue
Ultramarine Turquoise
Naphthamide Maroon
New Gamboge
Quinacridone Gold
Burnt Umber

What have you been up to this winter? 

3 comments:

smellyrhinostudio said...

sweet puppies. :)

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

Wow they are beautiful!
I've been doing more photography this winter, having so much fun watching wildlife & birds!

Christy DeKoning said...

thank you, Becca & Pam!
Pam, that's one of my favourite pastimes too :-)