Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Crested Drongo Watercolour painting on black mat board


Sometimes inspiration hits when you least expect it.  For reasons unknown, I found myself looking at images of the Crested Drongo (a bird found in Madagascar) today.  I wasn't planning on painting, but that rat in my brain started spinning his little hamster wheel, so I brought out a box of ACEO sized mat board scraps to have a look.
After selecting some good ivory and white pieces, I picked up a couple scraps of black mat board.

Now, as you know, transparent watercolour isn't really designed for painting on dark surfaces.  But I do own some opaque colours, as well as white gouache.  So I thought, why not?  The bird is black anyway - I could try a bit of reverse painting.

A little while later, this is what I ended up with.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself, tried some new techniques, and the most fun was being able to wet the brush and "lift off" to see fresh black underneath!  If you need a change, try this out - opaque watercolour on black mat board or heavy paper.

5 comments:

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

He turned out beautiful!

Shayna Bridge said...

Impressive, I look forward to seeing more paintings.thanks for making such paintings visible for us.

Watercolor Lessons

Christy DeKoning said...

thank you Pam and Shayna!

Sharon Whitley said...

great blog - love your birds

Christy DeKoning said...

thank you, Sharon. Sorry I can't update as regularly anymore, but I will be back!