Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

In Search of: the perfect Bar Stool for painting while standing.

My old bar stool finally kicked the bucket.  I was leaning back on it, admiring my latest brush strokes, when I heard an ominous "click".  No, not the deafening CRACK you might expect that would precede me falling backwards, arms flailing...  just a "click", then a "huh?" and then, of course, me grasping for a handhold.

I'm so glad that my friends weren't around with their cameras.

So now I'm looking for a new place to park my rear while I paint in a quasi-standing position.  I've checked out the local thrift stores and so far, nothing.  It needs to be just the right height, with specific lean-to-standing ratio.  If that is really a ratio, I'm not sure - but I'll know when I see it.

I've started looking online at all the modern bar stools available to ship to Canada.  And I confess, I'm loving the selection.  I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.





In other news, I've finished up the last of my "large" painting commissions this week.  As some of you may have heard, I am no longer taking on any commissions larger than 8x10 inches.  And that might get smaller and smaller as I focus more on the important things in my life.


Like tiny paintings that make me happy...
.... and a really good cup of coffee!

5 comments:

roderikmayne said...

Hi Christy,

You could check out folding bar stools available from Ikea. They have a back and I think they come in two different heights and they are not expensive.

I am sure that will be the first of hundreds of helpful comments about bar stools.

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Roderik - I confess, when I lived in Vancouver (a stone's throw from IKEA) I shopped there for almost everything.
Now that I'm a 2+ hour drive away, not so often. It's a luxury trip I look forward to though! And I look for many excuses to go!

:-)
Christy

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Beautiful portraits!

And you know what, I can totally picture you falling backwards. My moms computer chair gave way on Monday and she fell back and the back of it came apart from the arms and the bottom and what a pile of pieces. lol Hope you were not hurt.

Christy DeKoning said...

Hey Pam,
thank you (re: portraits)
and yes - I"m fine.
nothing bruised but my pride lol.
is your mom okay???

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Hi Christy,

Your welcome!
Yeah my moms ok, bit of a sore back the day after but ok now! Thanks!