Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Audacious? Me?




"Start with a whisk and end with a broom." ~ John Singer Sargent
"10 seconds"
24x30 inches
watercolour on canvas
"Creativity means thinking on your feet, making adjustments and sorties as you go along, advancing commitment as well as erasure. Unless you express your wishes, however modestly or timidly, you may never know your power. Your general overall theme may be audacious, even simply audacious, but it is the final, well-planned flourishes that will help your work to fly."


That inspiring message was in my inbox today, and it came at a wonderful moment for me because I am adding the final touches to a piece I'm entering into "Eye for Art" today. I had literally been standing there, paintbrush in one hand and wet rag (for erasing) in the other.  Was it finished? Did it need a little more depth?  Once I sorted out those final adjustments, I took a break and read my messages.  


I've been told, on occasion, that I'm not lacking in audacity *grin*... so while thinking along those lines I pondered some possible titles I'd jotted down to go with this painting.


After much scribbling, erasing, staring at the painting, staring vacantly out the window, people watching, coffee, etc, I was satisfied with a title.  Originally I was planning a series of  paintings with the theme "Fiction" but as this piece seems to stand alone now, I wanted a more relevant, mysterious, funny, and even (dare I say it) more audacious title.


You can view the work-in-progress of "10 Seconds" in my previous blog post.


The tech specs:
24"x30" 
watercolour on canvas
This entire painting was completed using only my Yarka #10 squirrel brush.  I've found that when working on watercolour canvas, I achieve the best results with a natural fibre brush.
Paints by Daniel Smith, naturally.  Basically I used Naphthamide Maroon, Quinacridone Burnt Orange, and Indanthrone Blue with a few added punches of colour.


The painting has now been sealed, and is ready to be delivered to the Thames Art Gallery for jurying today.  I'm satisfied with the end result, and although it will be under the critical review of others very shortly, I feel no apprehension or nervousness.  


This was painted for me, not the judges, and I stayed true to myself.


Would you like to receive Robert Genn's twice-weekly letters too?  Visit his website, The Painter's Keys, and sign up!


3 comments:

Gareth said...

Fantastic piece! I really like how the drips look like they could be on her body at the same time they look like they are on the surface of the painting. Great pose, colours, feeling, everything.

Pam of Always Artistic said...

So beautiful. I am sure it will get good reviews.

Love your new blog look!

Manon Doyle said...

She's amazing, Christy!! Wonderful work. She's very sensuous!!
The blog looks terrific!! Congrats!!