Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

A new studio for Christy!


Here it is - my new studio
I haven't finished moving in, but it's enough to get back to work.

In no order whatsoever, here is a list of improvements:

I can people-watch.
I can print IN THE SAME ROOM.
Loads of natural light.
I can people-watch.
I can cut mats IN THE SAME ROOM.
I have a corner devoted entirely to portrait sittings, 
with enough privacy for nude work.
(or, I can have a little nap)
Did I mention I can people-watch?
I can pack up orders and prepare shipments IN THE SAME ROOM.
I can close the door.
I can make as big of a mess as I want to (because I can close the door).

...and I can people-watch!

I used to be in the back of my house, where I couldn't even hear people knocking at the door.
Now, I can lean over and decide whether the person at the door is worth going downstairs for
 (yes, I'm talking about YOU, Mr. "I-can-lower-your-electricity-bill" guy)

The photos don't really show the depth of colour in the blue I've chosen, but you should get the picture.

The "sitting" area (once I put everything away)

The "shipping" area over on the right, and the "mat cutting" station right in the foreground.
And fuzzy yellow socks for when my feet get cold. 
I'm not hanging art just yet, as we might be putting our house up for sale next year. 
So the less holes in the plaster walls, the better.
But in the meantime, this new studio is a huge improvement for me. 

And one last added bonus - we'll get our dining room back :-)


12 comments:

SnowFoxCreations said...

I'm so happy for you. :) A good studio is so important!

(Gotta love those fold-up WalMart tables. Most of my own studio is full of those. ^^ So convenient!)

Deb DiSalvo said...

Christy - that's amazing! I love it. ...and people-watching is oh so much fun!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Excellent space...makes so much sense...and oh, the people watching, of course...would love to see more pics once it's 'working'...CONGRATS!!!!

Didnt feel like logging in said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE! you are going to love having your own room to work in.

alcatmom said...

Congratulations on the great new workspace. Sounds like it's all good!

Som's Studio said...

Congrats on your new workspace. It looks great!

Jen said...

yay for dining room! Is this the sunroom at the front of your house?

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you all so much for the warm fuzzies on my new space. Yes, I'm enjoying it. Today I have a lovely breeze gently blowing the sheer curtains while I work.

This is my eldest son's old room. He has informed me that he will not be moving home any time soon. Which means that if he DOES ever move back home, he can live in the cellar *grin*

Christy DeKoning said...

- oh, and Jen... I've ALMOST convinced my husband that it would be a good idea to restore the sunroom to its original glory as an open porch.

People who enter our century-old home are always surprised to see the high ceilings and huge original woodwork. I say surprised, because you can't tell from the outside that it holds such charm inside. But if we return the sunroom to a porch, then you'd see the beautiful door (that everyone loves) and the stained glass window. It's a big porch, too, and the wood floor is still good.
Plus, did I mention I like to sit out front and people-watch? (haha) right now I have to sit on the steps.

Manon Doyle said...

Looks awesome, girlfriend!! Now we all know where to find you!!

Alex Zonis said...

Congratulations! It is a beautiful studio! May you make a lot of wonderful art in it!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Wow what a beautiful studio Just love the openness of it. And beautiful blue!