Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Miniature canvas painting three ways

I've had a miniature canvas primed in orange and ready for painting for, oh, about 2 years.

In moving into my new studio, I picked it up (unfinished) for the last time - this was NOT going to be put away again.

So I started with blue at the top, and worked my way down to a lavender softness, ending with a warm punch of terracotta.  Then I put it aside to see what I can create from the chaos.  I see a wave formation in the top left, as if we are looking at the sea from a little higher up on a dune, maybe. I could finish this off with a bit of Titanium White or gouache for the whitecaps of the waves, and some tall grass or flowers in the foreground.  

By the way, if you're wondering, the base coat on this miniature canvas is acrylic and I'm painting directly over the acrylic with watercolour - which means I must use opaque white.  It also means I'll use an acrylic sealer to finish it off and make the colours pop again.


But before I put this aside, I rotated the photos a couple times.  I kind of like it on a vertical plane.


... and doesn't it look great flipped upside down? 
Now it's a gorgeous sky over the ocean. 
Or a cityscape painting (with more details added)

Oh the choices!




What do you see when you look at these? This is a great exercise for those of you who are trying to loosen up with your painting. Don't try to "make" something right away. Just let the colours mix, and then do some "cloud-watching" as I like to call it.  

And you can pick up these cool miniature canvases at Blick Art Materials (just enter "mini canvas" in the search box) along with little easels to hold them!


3 comments:

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Very cool! Hmmm I like them all but think the 3rd is my favorite!

Manon Doyle said...

I'm with Pam. I like door # 3!! Yup...that is my favorite!!

Christy DeKoning said...

I'm with you both. I've been flipping it over every few hours, and it needs the "weight" of the dark blue on the bottom.