Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Red Pointe Shoes in art

Facelift in Red.

Recently, I gave my blog a little makeover. Did you notice? I felt like painting it red.

Maybe it was due, in part, to the fact that I was painting red ballet shoes. You may remember last month I painted a pair of pointe shoes with an indigo background.

As it happens, I was asked to paint the same image with red shoes. A rather simple task when I've already got the sketch worked out - it really just involved different colour choices.

The first time around, I went with a fun green tone in the background:
original watercolour ACEO painting

(I'm not sure what happened with my signature - I think I got distracted somewhere around the first "N")
these things happen.

And then I wanted to try something a little edgier - more monochromatic - with a grey background. Having spent many hours in my youth nursing tired toes that sometimes bled from too much pointe work, I just love how the red "bled" into the background. Happy accidents.

original watercolour ACEO painting (sold - prints available)


The images above are both uncropped. When cropped to fit standard ACEO size, they'll look like this:

The client I painted these for selected the grey one for her collection. 
You can find the green version here on Etsy or ArtFire.

7 comments:

Christy DeKoning said...

I seem to have misplaced a few widgets and such with my transformation. I'll work on fixing that soon!

Manon Doyle said...

I love them both but I think the one with the bleeding toe is my favorite!!
How are you, girlfriend? Seems like I haven't spoken to you in a bit!! I hope all is well!!
xoxo

smellyrhinostudio said...

I love your happy accidents. Pretty little feet!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

These are beautiful!

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Manon - I always seem to be running to catch up, but life is good. Still trying to plan my John Singer Sargent roadtrip too - will keep you posted!

Becca, accidents happen. It's good when it works out!

Pam, thank you (always) !!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello my names holly and i'm 14. i love your work! I'm doing my art homework inspired by your ballet shoes:)

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks Holly - don't give up and be creative every day!