Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vintage style art in progress for RetroFest

It's RetroFest time again in Chatham, Ontario. According the banners and posters, we are the Classic Car Capital of Canada. It makes sense, as we are home to super cool RM Classic Cars.

But seriously, doesn't it feel like just yesterday that I was painting "A Slice of Bugatti"?

By golly, it does to me!

I want some new vintage-style buttons and mirrors in my shop, so I've been sketching some kitschy peeps.  I thought you might like to see some of them before I add the ink and erase the pencil lines.

I start the old-fashioned way by sketching an upside-down egg for the head, and giving myself the guidelines as you can see. Quite often I'll do the hair first, before the features. It's easier to get a feel for the character once the hair is in place.

The poodle just kind of snuck in there.

Personally, I'm liking the top right girl. What about you?
(remember - your comments are entered into the monthly portrait giveaway)

5 comments:

Marlene said...

Christy I'd have to say I like them all, they are great. What a fun subject.

Kathleen said...

Too fun! I'm glad the poodle snuck in there ;-)

Manon Doyle said...

Oooh! That looks like so much fun!! Love these, girlfriend!!
I hope you're having a great weekend!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

They all look great, yeah I think I like the top right best too. She reminds me of a dressy lady with a high paying job and lots of moolah! lol

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Marlene - yes it is definitely fun :-)
Kathleen, I painted the poodle pink and made pocket mirrors on Friday. Must take photos.
Manon, fun is my middle name. I'm having a blast this weekend and I hope you did too!
Pam, thanks - I modified the top right one a bit and made mirrors/buttons. Will post pics soon.

It's almost Monday....