Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Today in the garden: rabbits, squirrels and a lone iris

I do believe I've found my small animal to fill a large space!

The Thames Art Gallery is presenting a Community Arts Initiative this summer with the theme: "Big Spaces, Small Animals".  It opens June 18, 2010 with the opening reception on June 19 at 8pm. Now, I've thought of various ways to respond to this, but I keep coming back to this one idea: fill a large space with a small animal.

When I went outside this morning, I found a rabbit collecting grass for her nest. Of course, by the time I got my camera out she spotted me and refused to gather more grass. I just got "the look" as anyone who's ever come across a rabbit in the garden knows all too well.

Deer in the headlights? You better believe it.


Anyway, as it happens, I have a few 20x30 watercolour canvases sitting around idly, not earning their keep at all. One of them is now earmarked to showcase Mrs. Rabbit, up close and personal.

Of course, I couldn't put the camera away without taking a few pics of the garden, and wouldn't you know it but Sparky the Squirrel was hanging around hoping for peanuts. Sparky has been living in our yard for over a year now, and he has a most handsome white patch on his tail, like it was dipped in white paint.


And there's a lovely couple of Robins who are expecting babies this year. They've built a beautiful nest above my kitchen window:


Not many blooms on the Irises this year - but here's one that finally opened up. I hope spring has sprung in your neck of the woods!

3 comments:

alcatmom said...

Lots to choose from in your yard! I've seen that 'you don't see me if I don't move' look from rabbits. I love the squirrel - we have a couple girl squirrels that come around and I spoil them well. Looking forward to seeing the bunny portrait.

persephonesawakening said...

adventures to the max in your pretty garden today!

Laurie Langford and I went to TEcumseh Park for lunch and watched teh squirrels do weird things, like all lay down under a tree. It was so nice!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Beautiful photos! That Mrs Bunny will look beautiful as a painting, and that photo is gorgeous too!