Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Deanna Durbin portrait in watercolour



A rather decent-sized box of goodies came from Blicks a few days ago.
Oil paint, canvas, new brushes, metal paper, and some different brands of paper.

The first thing I had to do was try out "Lanaquarelle" 140lb cold press paper. I'd heard that it was a little smoother than Arches, but not completely lacking in texture like a hot-press surface.

I dug out an old public domain image of Deanna Durbin that I'd held onto for some time, and before long I'd sketched & painted her likeness on the new paper.

The blending was easy, the surface soft. It handled water and pigment well. I didn't do much "lifting out" so I can't report on it just yet in that department.

Overall though, I really like it for small detail work, and will likely be using it more often for future ACEO paintings. You can view and/or purchase Deanna Durbin ACEO at www.christydekoning.Etsy.com

5 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

Hey sister,

I saw Deanna on FB the other day and was blown away!! She's terrific!!
I'm cracking up over your delivery...lol....because I just go an email from the manager of my local Blick's telling me that they're having a 40% sale off the entire purchase on Saturday! Yikes! I'm in! Breaking all my rules and running..... not walking..... to get me some more stuff!

Hope you're doing well!!

xoxo

Manon Doyle said...

Chritsy,
Just saw the comment you left on my blog about Blicks! I will check that out!! It's a great idea!!

Christy DeKoning said...

Manon, you know you're a regular when you start getting phone calls from the manager LOL.
Or when, in my case, the company asks you if you'd like a free sample (yes, this happened yesterday from a manufacturer of art board I particularly love working with)
HELLO! why yes, I'd love a free sample, and can you send a bit to Manon too please???

Alex Zonis said...

Dear Christy, I have just finished ordering DS paints! Thank you for your wonderful advice!

Just in case you didn’t get the pingback, I have given you a Sunshine Award for bloggers for all the help you given to me. You can get it here:
http://pencilscribbles.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/sunshine-blog-award/
and, if you wish, post it on your blog :) .

Christy DeKoning said...

thank you so much Alex!