Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Ballet Paintings in watercolor



Ballet #2, originally uploaded by christydekoning.

I was browsing old slides recently and came across a whole case dedicated to my early dancing days.
Think chubby-cheeked three-year-old blue fairy ballerina, or a tap-dancing five-year-old dressed as a white horse (I believe it was part of Cinderella's carriage).

So I've sent a bunch of slides off to ScanCafe to have them turned into digital files, and when I get them back I'll be sure to share some of the cuter ones with you *wink*

But in the meantime, the nostalgia had me painting ballerinas. Or their legs, anyway. I love the way light and shadows play in the folds of a tutu, and the grace and form of a dancer's legs.

There will be more, but this is a little idea of where I'm going. Enjoy!



Ballet #1, originally uploaded by christydekoning.

8 comments:

Diana Evans said...

these are fantastic!!! I love these and it reminds me of my ballet days...

Manon Doyle said...

Beautiful, Christy! I had ballet days too and so did Alex! Can't wait to see your pics!! I'm sure they're all great.
Hey... and thanks for signing me up for Networked Blogs...lol! Can't wait to see what you have in store for me next...lol!

Alex Zonis said...

Totally great! Love the dramatic shadows. They make the highlights so bright and festive. I also love your skin tones - so real!

Art Trip said...

Great technique. Watercolor is so hard.

Christy DeKoning said...

Diana, Manon - thank you. It seems many of us visual artists have had our hands in performing arts too!

Alex, thanks bunches. Your paintings are coming along so beautifully!

Art Trip, what a delight to see you visiting my blog - you're looking mahvelous, and haven't changed one bit.

Rydia Lavenia said...

Everything is sooo beautiful! I was looking at your etsy page and kept thinking one of the pendants looked like Kristen Stewart... and then I realized it was!! haha

Fabulous work! I love all of it. I can't believe you had Deanna Durbin! We love her movies!!

Christy DeKoning said...

Great news, "Ballet #1" has sold :-)

Pam of Always Artistic said...

What a beautiful theme! These are wonderful!