Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Painting Penny Lane on AquaBord




"Penny Lane"
8x10 watercolour on AquaBord
private collection


Now that the holidays are behind us for another year, I can start showing you what I was working on before Christmas - with no worrying about spoiling anyone's surprise under the tree.


Let me introduce you to Penny Lane.


I wanted to really emphasize the long strands of hair on Miss Penny, and that meant getting creative. So to start with, I selected AquaBord as my surface. My reason for this was that AquaBord "gives watercolorists unprecedented freedom and control. Comparable to watercolor paper, this multimedia panel simulates the absorbency and texture of cold pressed but allows color to be lifted back to white easily while also leaving the richest, most vibrant color possible. This reworkable surface provides natural looking highlights, fluid glazes, transparent subtle layers, and the ability to lift color while the surface is wet or even after it is dry."


(did you like that? pretty poetic, I thought. 
Straight from the horse's mouth, too)


You can get AquaBord at Blicks for about 40% off the list price, in either a flat panel or with a cradle (like a shallow box for displaying "as is")


So as you can see, AquaBord is pretty versatile, and perfect for lifting out those white strands of hair from the black background. True to traditional watercolour, I didn't use any white paint on Penny Lane. My favourite part of this painting, however, is the eyes. I love how I was able to lift out a bit around the reflections, laying in different colours, to achieve that wonderful "glassy" appearance.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

That is a great portrait and I love the description of the aqua board! Thanks for the tip =) may have to try that someday - lol - put it on my list!

smellyrhinostudio said...

gorgeous! simply gorgeous!

WATERBABY CHRISTINE said...

I know this made someone very happy.

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi kathleen,
you're welcome. I absolutely LOVE working on aquabord for detail work like pets and portraiture, especially.
Not so much for large washes though.
I will do a more in-depth post on aquabord some day soon.

Becca, you flatterer. You rock.

Christine, I have it in good faith (with photos!) that it reduced the recipient to tears on Christmas Day. I love knowing that! Thank you :-)

lin said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,色情,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女