Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

A little birdie told me (Christmas is coming!)


I've been working on some mini paintings on AquaBord lately. A lot of fun!

These little gems are 6 x 6 x 2 inches deep (see the second photo) and require no framing - perfect for Christmas gift-giving!

This one is called "A Little Sincerity".
Yes, it's no secret that I love to draw on the words of poets and playwrights when it comes to naming my artwork, and this is no exception (thanks Mr. Wilde)

As you can see, I haven't stained the sides yet (they are unfinished pine) but the end result will be a stain the same color as the Trompe l'oeil Frame I've painted on, giving this a delightful look when finished.


The photo below shows what the sides will eventually look like (I've had such fun at art exhibits, watching people go up and touch the painting - surprised to find it is a faux frame)


Now I have to decide what to paint next...another bird?
More kittens?
A sexy sailor?
(maybe I'd have to keep that last one though)

With Christmas coming, I'm curious about your holiday gift-giving. Do you hit the malls at the last minute, or do you plan your strategy early on and take advantage of online handmade shopping (like ArtFire or Etsy, for example).





I'll leave you with a little poetic inspiration for painting birds:


Laughing Song

When the green woods laugh with the voice of joy,

And the dimpling stream runs laughing by;

When the air does laugh with our merry wit,

And the green hill laughs with the noise of it;

When the meadows laugh with lively green,

And the grasshopper laughs in the merry scene,
When Mary and Susan and Emily
With their sweet round mouths sing "Ha, Ha, He!''

When the painted birds laugh in the shade,

Where our table with cherries and nuts is spread,
Come live & be merry, and join with me,

To sing the sweet chorus of "Ha, Ha, He!''

~William Blake


Register on ArtFire.com

3 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

It's beautiful Christy!! I'm one of those who had to look to realize it was a faux frame!! Wonderful work!!
I'm in for the sexy sailor...lol!

pencilscribbles said...

I love the little bird and love the faux frames! These are so clever, they delight me. I can relate to making titles from poetry and plays, I am the same way. My recent portrait is titled "Like a rolling stone."

As to what to paint next, I am sure you will surprise and amaze us all with something wonderful.

kml said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - I am so glad to have found you. Quite talented you are with some very unique ideas. Your little bird box is beautiful!