Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 3 of Dog Art


... and now back to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Today I'm listening to a new artist I was introduced to by Chuck Dilmore who writes evocative, funny and sometimes irreverent literature to tease and delight the senses over at Half Moons and Maidens. The artist is Imogen Heap, and she reminds me a little of Sarah McLachlan mixed with Bjork, with a little Garbage (the band, not the stuff of dreams for our neighbourhood crows).

I have painted three Greyhounds in my limited dog art career. I don't actually market myself as a dog artist, not only because of the pithy comments and connotations the term brings to mind, but because I don't feel comfortable with the subject matter. I'm not a dog person, so with each new canine portrait request comes a certain amount of research to get a hang of how the fur falls, the eyes reflect light, and so on.

I have to say though, that I'm starting to understand Greyhounds. My last two have allowed me to get a little more intimate with the bone structure. I'm especially pleased with how the grey & black turned out. Almost a whimsical expression, I believe. I'm also proud to mention that whenever I sell a Giclee of a Greyhound painting, I donate a portion to aid in Greyhound adoption at Greyhound Crossroads.


3 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

Hi Christy,

I think this painting turned out very well! I love dogs and you're doing a fabulous job with your portraits.

Btw.... picking up your cat's hairball doesn't count sister!!

Christy DeKoning said...

Well, it sure was scary Manon.

ick.


Thanks for the lovely comments though!

smellyrhinostudio said...

Nice hounds! Imogene is deep. I have one of her cds, need to break it out and listen again.