Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Lighting Up the Louvre work-in-progress


"Lighting up the Louvre"
12x12 inches
Work-in-Progress (unfinished)


I've been back from Paris for 2 months already. Where on earth has the time gone? And how could it possibly be August already?

With the 2nd annual Mayor's Gala almost upon me, I thought I'd better get in a Paris state-of-mind (the theme of this year's Gala is "Paris by Night") so to that end, I had a browse through my hundreds of photos and settled on a lamp post to paint. I literally just drew the lamp to start with, because I wasn't in the mood for anything else.

Once the lamp came together, I thought "why not?" and started sketching the Louvre behind it. From there I continued adding details, letting each wash dry and a bit of time go by before attacking it again.

Tonight I finished the statues on the front, took a step back and thought: "well, it's good...but it's kind of wishy-washy..."

Out came the Vermillion, and well - you can see where I'm at now. Tomorrow is a new day, and I'll reassess the situation then. I need to add some window details, and maybe (maybe) I'll tone down that red.





Register on ArtFire.com

2 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

Lovely piece Christy! I can't wait to see it when it's done. I love works in progress and to watch where they end up!

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Manon, I feel the same way when I view other artist's blogs.

Normally I would begin with a much better drawing for an architectural painting (even if I planned a loose style of painting) however in this case, I just had to piece it together and hope for the best.