Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Art of Seduction and Pin Ups

Ever wonder what I do in-between commissions? I'm sure you have better things to wonder about, but seeing as how you're here (and you're still reading) here's a glimpse into the creative corners of my mind.

To the left, a work-in-progress of a woman's hand, painted on 11x14 inch Aquabord. This is my ratty old "test slab" of Aquabord (which I've washed off with soap, water and scrub brush in the past!) so I don't usually go too far with my experiments - but in this case I've been enjoying the results and I keep going back to it. The theme is "Seduction" but it's kind of creepy at this point. But fun for me nonetheless.

Here next is a 9x16 inch sheet of 300lb cold press paper with the same theme of Seduction. Looking a little more sensual than the previous one... I might have to change the name of the series when it's finally ready for unveiling. I'm currently working on building up the layers on the man's hand - there's no rhyme or reason to this one. As you can see I've done more work to the middle finger, then moved on to the baby finger... I really am a scatterbrained artist.




Last, another Pin Up in progress, this one on 15x22 inch 140lb cold press paper.
I'm really starting to get a feel for where I want to go with these. I am trying to keep this one as clean and fresh as possible, so I'm forcing myself to put it aside after each glaze so that it dries completely. That way I have less chance of muddying it up or destroying the clear colors in the layers below. You can barely make out the dropped shoe on the ground to her right, because I haven't decided yet if I'll keep the shoe on the ground, discarded, or if I'll paint her hand coyly dangling the shoe from her fingers. I'm leaning toward the latter right now.

I've ordered some 5x5 inch Aquabord panels with 2 inch cradles (that means how deep they are - it looks like a shadowbox turned toward the wall, with the paintable surface on the back). These will make a nice addition to the Pin Up series, ready to hang for Christmas.

4 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

Love, love these pieces Christy! I can totally relate to being scatterbrained.... I'm in the same boat as you!

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Manon. They are coming along... I just feel like dozing today though ... must get moving & motivated! Think I'll go for a walk.

Kim said...

your seduction series looks very exciting Christy!!!
I love the composition and the anonymous nature of the work...

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Kim. I'm focusing more on Pin Ups as Christmas nears, so the seduction series might take a while to actually come to any kind of fruition. But I'm enjoying the ripening :-)