Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Vintage Pinup original art



I've just finished a round of commissions, and this always seems to inspire me to do something a little different. I've been playing with the idea of doing a series of classic Pinups, both in large scale and ACEO size - so with that thought I started with this little ACEO based on a vintage Biba playing card image, titled "Biba Pinup #1"

I thought the painting was finished, and was very happy with it, until I took photos and realized that I just HAD to fix that Wilma Flinstone foot. Talk about forgetting to add a little shading!
I'll get on that right away and adjust the photos in my ArtFire shop. What pleases me the most is the shading on the red bustiere, and how the small little smile turned out without any over-working on my part. I was working with a mix of Quinacridone Red and Permanent Alizarin Crimson on the bodice, with French Ultramarine blue and Cerulean blue for the cushion. Originally, I had her wearing blue knickers but I decided it needed a little more sex appeal and layered Payne's Grey over it instead. Then I kept going with the little fringe details using small flat brush. Of course I had to embellish the top also! What do you think?

As usual, I have listed this on ArtFire first. If it is still available after a few days I'll post it on Etsy.

I find Pinup art so interesting to create. Take a normal, everyday nude pose for example - make the head a little smaller, make the legs longer, adjust the curve factor and then have fun adding itty bitty clothes. It's almost like playing with paper dolls!

Register on ArtFire.com

5 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

I love her Christy! Her pose is awesome!
I think you were right about her knickers....Payne's Grey did the trick.

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Manon. It's funny what such small changes can do to a piece, isn't it?

Campbell Jane said...

Love her! I love Pin-up art!

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Jane - thank you, so glad you like it! I was just looking through my fave sellers list on Etsy, and it brought up your shop items (no surprise you're a fave) - some great new pieces Jane!

Christy DeKoning said...

SOLD!
even more reason to create more pinups :-)