Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oklahoma University Statue Painting


Okay, I've been a little MIA this past week, working on a rather large commission. This is a little different than what I usually do: a statue instead of a real person. The subject is the statue on the South Oval at the University of Oklahoma. The painting is 22x30 inches, watercolor and gouache.

I enjoyed this project, however I would have preferred a better composition. Both the colorful flower beds, and the pathway leading off the top of the page draws the viewers eyes away from what should be the focal point, the statue. Also, the statue itself is seen from an unusual angle.

But all in all, I'm glad I took on the challenge, and I'm also glad it's over!

What have you worked on lately that had you tearing out your hair?

Register on ArtFire.com

1 comment:

Karen Faulkner said...

Gorgeous! The gardens turned out beautifully.