Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Talent For Silence and Brevity...and the Killers in Toronto!

"A Talent for Silence and Brevity"
watercolor on Arches 300lb cold press paper
22 x 30 inches

Last year I worked on a couple original pieces for my own collection, to be used for showing in exhibitions and competitions. The seagull "If I Were A Blackbird" was one of them. This portrait of my youngest son was the other that I managed to complete.

The challenge for this piece was to achieve a warm glow underneath the shadows - not so easy inn watercolor! I worked with transparent glazing and layering techniques, over and over - until I was sure I was going to ruin the whole painting by making it too muddy, but I stepped back and put away the paint before it got that far (thankfully) - although it is bound to happen, I do hate wasting a full sheet of 300lb paper!

Now to take it out of the frame and get a high-res photo for use when submitting slides or cds.

~~~~~~~

On another note, I had a BLAST last night - I went to the Killers concert in Toronto (a three-hour drive for me) but it was definitely worth it. I haven't been to a concert in almost 12 years - my last one was The Cure in Vancouver. I was fortunate to live in very large metropolitan cities when I was young (Sydney, Australia, then Vancouver) so I got my fill of every act I ever wanted to see (even Deborah Harry at a rave party in Sydney - that was sensational).

Here's a little sample of my evening - we had fabulous seats!


3 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

The portrait is AMAZING! My favorite so far.

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks Karen - it is my favourite too. I had the concept for this mulling around in my head for a long time before I put pencil to paper. I plan to enter it this year in a few different juried shows. I remember reading once that if you feel strongly about a particular piece of work, don't be discouraged if it isn't accepted, but keep entering it to different shows because you never know what each show is looking for.
So...that's what I'm going to do in 2009 :-)

Pauline said...

The little boy portrait is incredible..... those eyes, and the light.....superb Christy!

Cheers....