Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Let It Snow - original mixed media ACEO


It is snowing again today, so what better artwork to share than a snowman? I often play with watercolor techniques on scrap pieces of watercolor paper, and as I was cleaning up I found a lovely bit of 300lb cold press paper (very thick and rigid paper with a rough texture) that I had painted with a Cerulean Blue wash many moons ago.

I examined the paper and realized that I could get 4 ACEO paintings out of it, so out came the paper trimmer and chop chop chop!

I've saved 3 pieces for later, but I used one to make this little mixed media snowman today. I even added a little faerie dust while the acrylic was still tacky. It's fun to get crafty every once in a while (I feel like a kid again when I'm sprinkling glitter around).

Hope you are staying warm and dry, wherever you are!



7 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

I love his expression! It looks like cheerful surprise.

Highoncraft said...

I LOVE the fairy dust. I've been painting ACEO's of my cuddlewee fairies and need to get some glitter for the wings.

Christy DeKoning said...

Karen, thank you! Snowmen were my mom's favourite to paint, so it was easy to make him look so cheery.

High, the "faerie dust" I used is called "Glamour Dust" in Crystal by DecoArt. I love how fine the sparkles are, it's like a super-fine glitter, and it reflects light in the same way that the snow here does on a sunny winter day.

ButterCup said...

Lovely watercolors :)

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Buttercup! Thank you for dropping by. I was enjoying a visit to your etsy shop this morning and especially like your 5x7 watercolor "pretty in pink".

twiddlestix said...

I love this snowman Christy! It's fantastic! How fun to play with glitter!

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Heather! Hope you had a Merry Christmas and are gearing up for a fabulous 2009.