Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Miss Suzy Makes Snowflakes

"Suzy Snowflake"
$9.99 at Etsy

The squirrels in my neck of the woods are getting VERY busy now that the weather is changing. I had an idea that made it onto paper today: Suzy Snowflake.

When I was a little girl, my dad used to read me a book about Miss Suzy the Squirrel (by Miriam Young), who liked her home very neat and tidy. She was chased away from her tree by some very mean red squirrels, but then she ended up living in a dollhouse (every girl's dream house of course) taking care of the dolls if I remember.

Anyway, I digress...I had the idea that Miss Suzy probably keeps her little hands busy making those old-fashioned crochet snowflakes come winter-time, and would then decorate the whole nest (or dollhouse) with them.

Did you ever read about Miss Suzy?

6 comments:

Amy Lilley Designs said...

I LOVE SUZY!!!!...what a wonderful way to depict a squirrel..they can make it to the top of evergreens or pine trees w/ the greatest of ease to put that star on the top for Christmas...beautiful!!!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

ie, a crocheted star and/or snowflake...did you ever read 'The Mitten' and see the amazing illustrations in whatever version you may have come across...

alcatmom said...

I have never read about Miss Suzy but I used to have a bunch of squirrel friends before I had my kitties. They are awesome little creatures. Your Miss Suzy is gorgeous and reminds me of my Twinkie.

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Amy - thank you so much! I've never read "the mitten" but now I'll have to go and find it in my library (after I pay those pesky late fees lol)

Christy DeKoning said...

Alcatmom, thank you for visiting both my blog and my shop today. We have a backyard full of squirrels, and my upstairs bedroom window provides a great view of some nests in our maple tree. Right now there are a few young squirrels running around on the upper branches. I just love it!

Michael Wong said...

Hi, was wondering if we could exchange blog roll links?
I'm a PR5 blog that talks about blogging.
If yes, please leave a comment on any of my blog posts at:
http://bigmoneylist.blogspot.com/
or simply send me an email at:
michaelwong38@gmail.com.