Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

Family Portrait

At 6x9 inches, this is the smallest 3-subject portrait I've painted before, and I don't think I'll ever do it again. I steer away from multiple subjects as much as possible for several reasons:
a) so often, it looks posed...and I hate "posed" shots
b) if the client sends me several photos to work from, more often than not the lighting is all different so it's hard to make it look realistic when I piece it together...
and the biggest reason:
c) if I make a mistake that can't be fixed, then it's like starting 3 or more paintings all over again.
I HATE having to repaint perfectly good paintings.
I love painting several versions of the same subject, but not repeating past performances.

With all that said, however, I do like the way the light is falling on the tops of their hair in this painting. If I had it my way, I'd only paint portraits with sunlight on the tops of the head!

No comments: