Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Change of Heart

One of my all time favorite songs is "Heading West" by Cyndi Lauper - here's an excerpt from the lyrics to give you an idea of where I'm going with this:

"I'm gonna fly my kite and
let out all the string
Hold on to hope, let go everything
I can't stop laughing and
it's nothing you said
The altitude of freedom
seems to go to my head
And if I fall down on my knees
I'm gonna get back up
I'm gonna get back up again"

Let's just say that I'm disillusioned with painting portraits day in and day out...every time I say to my family "that's it! I'm done, no more commissions"...well, of course I go ahead and take just one more, which leads to 3 more, et cetera, et cetera.

So I'm not saying that I won't take any more commissions. I know myself better than that, and I know I will continue to paint portraits for a very long time. I really do love it when I get the right light and setting to inspire me.

What I AM doing is opening another Etsy shop soon. Hopefully in a few weeks, in time for Christmas shoppers. It will be fun, with no realism whatsoever. I'll keep that in my current shop. Instead, it will feature fanciful waif-like kitties, fairies and creatures that enchant and delight. The type of art that I can doodle ideas while I'm at the park and then go home and create, with no limitations. I'll be working with Gouache a lot more, and in larger sizes (although I'll still be creating fun ACEOs for the collectors out there).

I will probably move my set of three fairies with big eyes over to my new shop, because you can be sure that my inspiration comes from the likes of Margaret Keane and her penchant for exaggerated eyes. The eyes are the most fun part of painting portraits for me, so this style allows me to be as creative as I possibly can.

So in closing, I'll be busy for a few weeks and will probably only post updates once a week until I get up and running - but in the meantime, here's a taste of what's coming:

"Christabel"
8x10 inches
watercolor and gouache
140lb cold press paper

see you soon!

2 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

Hi Christy, I totally understand what you're saying. In certain professional aspects of my life I feel like I've been fighting against myself and my true nature for years because it seemed like the more conventional or acceptable route. Wishing you much success and creative freedom with your new shop!

Christy DeKoning said...

Karen, thank you so much. That means a lot to me, hearing it from you. I'm looking forward to a breath of fresh fun air.