Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Black Cat Thursday

I finally got around to adding those new ACEO paintings that were supposed to be finished last weekend.

Being that this week marks the new month of October, I thought it fitting to paint a black cat. I had found this photo a while back at www.FreeDigitalPhotos.net and hadn't quite been ready to paint it until this week.

I used the beautiful Lapis Lazuli Genuine from Daniel Smith for the blue undertones, then built up to the darkest Indigo. Masking fluid was used extensively, with a wet-in-wet approach to the softer areas.

The background is a mix of Rhodonite Genuine, Quinacridone Orange and Alizarin Crimson. The eyes are a similar mix, however Aureolin is the base yellow. I named this beauty "Channon" because of the sinister eyes - it means "young wolf" in Irish.

3 comments:

Amy Lilley Designs said...

BEAUTEOUS...reminds me of a combination of my Girl Whirl and Big Kitty...one of your best, I think...you totally captured the position and the look...

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks so much Amy - the more I look at it, the more I like it too. I was actually thinking about your Whirl when I painted this, and how I really have to paint your felines.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

ANYTIME...they would be honored...:)