Pages

Friday, September 19, 2008

Vintage Friday - Breakfast at Tiffany's

I thought it would be fun to paint another vintage cat - but this time paired up with the timeless elegance of Miss Audrey herself.

I've painted this on mat board, so it has a lovely beveled edge. I also used artistic license to change the color of the cat - I wanted a more monochromatic painting, so opted for a grey kitty on her shoulders.

This started out as a pencil sketch on regular sketch pad paper - I didn't want to do much erasing on the mat board. From there I transferred only the faintest necessary lines to the mat board using soft (6b) graphite pencil and tracing paper (I used a soft pencil so that I wouldn't have to press hard and leave any indents on the final piece).

I used india ink first for the outlines, then erased any pencil marks still showing. From there I mixed a very pale wash of permanent rose and raw ochre for Audrey's skin and the cat's pink details, allowing it to completely dry. I added more rose to the mix and went back for a second wash to define the shadows.

Her hair was painted with Sodalite Genuine first (this is a really cool grey from Daniel Smith, made from genuine sodalite) - I also added more water to the pigment and used it for the first wash on the cat.

When that dried, I used pure black on the hair, leaving a little Sodalite showing through for highlights & interest. I added Indanthrone blue mixed with Burnt Sienna (to make a warmer grey) to Audrey's eyeshadow and the subsequent layers of the cat - adding more blue with each layer. Finally, a touch of Cerulean blue on the necklace and the left side of her neck to cool it down a little, and also dabbed into the cat's eyes (which were initially yellow).

6 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

Love it! I love both of the Hepburns, Audrey and Katharine.

Christy DeKoning said...

Leading ladies, both of them...thank you Karen. You posted this comment while I was adding more text to my post! I went back and described the colors used, now that I have a little more time.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

LOVE AUDREY...LOVE Breakfast @ Tiffany's (love Tiffany's)...LOVE this piece...you have seen Deb's Audrey in fused glass...

http://artisticflairbydebdisalvo.blogspot.com/

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks Amy - yes I just LOVE Deb's fused glass Audrey...and her new necklaces and earrings are beautiful.

P and J Crafts said...

I love all your paintings! This Audrey Hepburn one is wonderful! I definitely admire people who can paint, it's a wonderful talent you have!

Julie

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Julie - thank you! I visited your shop today, and you have a great sense of style and color. Beautiful bags :-)