Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Illustrations for a fairy tale


I was really challenged over the last week with my latest commission. Instead of working from a photograph, I had to draw on my own imagination...not that great at the best of times :-)

I really am a "visual artist" - I love to see with my eyes. When I look at children and people passing by, I am always marveling at the play of light on skin, the shadows created, and the different forms that take place. When I sit down to paint, I see with my eyes first, and then let the color lead me the rest of the way.

So when I was asked to create a few small illustrations for a fairy tale, I initially thought "no problem" - I used to always draw my own illustrations for little stories I wrote when I was younger.

Ha!

It's been a while, let me tell you. I was tearing my hair out over this seemingly simple request. I was almost ready to contact the buyer and let tell her I couldn't do it. But luckily my pride got in the way of that idea and I got back to work. I'm glad I persevered, because it was an excellent lesson for me and very good practice.

Here are a couple of the illustrations, done on 140lb hot press (smooth) watercolor paper with ink & watercolor.


4 comments:

alcatmom said...

Oh cool!!! I have always loved fairy tales and those pictures are just so perfect. Will you let us know what book once it's available?

Amy Lilley Designs said...

soooo light, airy, very fairy tale...I have to get some pics up of a mural that I did @ the 'Y' in Mt. Vernon, NY...you will appreciate it!!!

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Alcatmom - thank you!
I don't think that the author intends to publish, other than as a family heirloom in this case. But of course I'll share the news if it does end up in the public!

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Amy - I'd love to see photos of your mural.