Pages

Monday, September 22, 2008

Another new Cat painting

I'm working my way towards a big sale this weekend in my Etsy store!

Here is another new cat painting, titled "Pascha". I started with a sketch based on a Bengal cat, to give it strong feline character. But after working on the eyes a bit, I decided that I was in the mood for Indanthrone Blue. So I masked out the whiskers with Liquid Masque (I particularly like "Shiva" brand) and then painted the ears with a mix of Yellow Ochre, Opera and I. Blue.

I stepped back and had a good look - I was liking the shadows and moody atmosphere - so I went ahead and completed the rest of the portrait with the same mix of colors.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

That's beautiful! I really like the expression on the cat's face.

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Daisy :-)
Thank you so much - expression is everything, don't you think? Your photos are always full of expression. I'm actually glad you dropped in because it reminded me that I never did finish creating my Project Wonderful ad box... hmmm I'll get on that today I think.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

beautiful, just beautiful, the whiskers, the ear 'whiskers'...that LOOK...very pensive...the blue works so well w/ the white kitty...

Christy DeKoning said...

Aw, thanks Amy. I like the look too...I wonder now if the eyes are a bit bold for the rest of the painting (originally it was going to be traditional bengal colors). I might end up adding more shadows and structure to the face.