Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

Vintage Fridays - POSTERS!

Vintage Chat
2.5 x 3.5 inches
$16.50 at etsy.com

Vintage Friday AGAIN! - how on earth did a week pass so quickly?

I had great intentions of blogging all week...I'm really not sure what happened to that :)

So for this Vintage Friday, I thought it would be fun to recreate a Vintage Poster...and of course, still fulfill my loyal art buyers desire for more new cats.

Here is my take on the beautiful poster "Tournee Le Chat Noir" created by artist Théophile Alexandre Steinlen in 1896 for the famous 19th century cabaret owned by another artist, Rodolphe Salis.

While researching the cabaret, I found it interesting that the poster was commissioned only one year before it closed in 1897 - and also that Picasso was disappointed to find it closed when he went to Paris for the Expo of 1900!

I haven't added any text (such as "Le Chat Noir") or writing to the Art Card as yet, because I kind of like it without. This ACEO was created on 140lb cold press paper, which I didn't stretch out so it has a bit of a wave to it. The colors used: Quinacridone Gold and Vermillion, with pure black watercolor from a stick for the cat. The background colors were laid down first, allowed to dry, then the outline was drawn with black India Ink. When I applied the black, I allowed small details to show through from the background in the same way as Steinlen did with his poster. My cat's eyes didn't end up as big as Steinlen's so I feel mine ended up a little more comical-sinister looking (it could be the spot of nose I left showing that gives it a comic air too - it reminds me of the Grinch!)

Next up is the Red Shoes movie poster...

5 comments:

Amy Lilley Designs said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!...it's free, it's loose, definitely vintage..and w/ the writing...WOW!!!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

...or w/out the writing...loveit still!!!...lol

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks Amy - I was contemplating a response to the first comment (confused as I was) so I'm glad you stepped in with the second comment to save me LOL :-)

Kim said...

great interpretation Christy...
reminds me of LeTrec's work too :)

Amy Lilley Designs said...

oh yes...sorry for the confusion...computer overload...but the quiet voice said 'go back, go back....read it again..'