Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

Strange sightings at the Beach

We live at the junction of 2 Great Lakes: Erie & Huron. I remember in 1999 when I first saw Lake Erie thinking "that's not a Lake, that's the Ocean...someone's made a mistake here". It's amazing to stand on the beach and not be able to see any land, and know that it is still a lake. On a very clear day you can faintly make out the slightest hint of distant Cleveland. But not on this day.
What we found instead was this very cool chair. I couldn't wait to bring it home, and I had to ask myself: "does this classify as removing flora and/or fauna from our beaches?" ... I made an executive decision (I'm the only one capable of those in our family - it's all on me, so if the police ever knock on the door I'll be making the executive decision to point my finger at my husband) and decided that no, it's not protected by some weird law and there cannot possibly be wildlife living in it other than what might be leftover from last weekend's beach party. So now this chair looks even better in my garden next to a birdbath.


After about an hour of throwing stones into the water (my husband is a superb specimen of stone-skipping-skillmanship) we saw the strangest sight: The Canadian Military! I know, I know, we thought that they were off doing important things somewhere else in the world, too - because we've NEVER seen them around here. So of course, we had to stop a soldier and ask him what the hell he was doing on our little patch of heaven. "Border Patrol" was the answer. Then we had to ask him if he had the safety "on" on his weapon. I think the answer was something like "it doesn't have a safety" or similar to that anyway.

I decided to wait until they were out of sight before shuffling my acquisition off the beach.

10 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

What a surreal day at the beach! That chair is a great find.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Seeing the photo of your son, I realize how great the painting of him really is..looks just like him!!!!...what a sweet boy..

And agreed, the chair is a great, great find for you!!!

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Karen - isn't it fabulous? The seat is broken so it flips 360 degrees, but it's perfect in the garden.

Christy DeKoning said...

Amy! thank you - I just love painting my little guy whenever I have time.

And yeah, cool chair huh?

I'm pretty envious of your locale... Providence sounds perfect to me. Maybe one day I'll live in Providence. It sounds like a movie title.

Karen Faulkner said...

Providence is a neat place! Hoping my daughter may want to attend Rhode Island School of Design (or maybe Johnson & Wales) one day so I'll have a good excuse to spend more time there :)

Christy DeKoning said...

karen, we went through PA the last time we drove to NYC and it was lovely. I see you've got about a 5 hour drive to Providence. We need to pack a bigger lunch - it's a 10 hour drive for us :-)

Kim said...

your little boy is so cute Christy...
I love the portrait of him...
congratulations on your selection in the juried show too !!
that chair is beaut ...what a great find :)

Christy DeKoning said...

Hi Kim - thank you for the congrats. I picked up the finished, framed piece today and I'm very pleased with it. You've got a gorgeous grown-up boy yourself. I love your portrait in the works - I had a very hard time leaving a comment earlier today though. I work on a Mac and I couldn't read the captcha in Firefox or in Safari. I finally booted up Windows in a "virtual machine" and tried IE so I hope you got my comment!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Hey Gals...COME, drop by Providence, I'll feed you...lots of history and charm here...RISD and J&W, both excellent schools...my son took a Photoshop class and more @ RISD when he was 13,14, 15..I don't think he had a clue about the whole 'RISD' mystique...now, he's @ the New England Art institute in their Media and Animation Curriculum (in Brookline, Ma.), and he LOVES it...can't wait to go back!

Christy DeKoning said...

I know there are better places to chat...but my husband just informed me that "Paul dot com" lives in Rhode Island. So he's ready for a geekfest road trip LOL