Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ducklings need umbrellas too!


Rainy Day
ACEO watercolor
3.5 x 2.5 inches

I couldn't sleep tonight, so I came downstairs to paint. I have a collection of wonderful old family photos from a portrait client that I can pull inspiration from at any time. I just love the candid photos that indicate such a happy and fulfilled life - yet I am still an outsider, so whatever I cannot see in the photo I can freely use artistic license to create on my own.

This incredibly patient client has been waiting for quite some time for me to paint a few ACEOs for her, so I was happy to get started on this one. Because the original photo is old with low resolution, I had every excuse to use loose washes and simple lines. The client will always remember this moment in time, so I wanted to recreate it with a more fairytale feel to it, like a painting in a favourite children's storybook. I am very happy with this and feel it will be a lovely keepsake for her (grown-up) little girl in years to come.

I'm thinking that it would make a lovely print in any little girl's room...


10 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

This ACEO is just precious! So is the original photo.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

VERY nursery rhyme...delicate, sweet, lighthearted, innocent...love it...

Christy DeKoning said...

Karen, thank you - I love the beautiful photos that Susan sends me. She is a lovely lady with such a warm heart, and it shows in everything she sends me.

Amy thank you! So happy you like it. I mailed your print off today, sorry for the delay :-) forgive me???

Kim said...

this is so sweet Christy...
and your interpretation of the photo really highlights the sponteneity of the 'moment'...a beautiful keepsake...
your client will love it!!
I'd say well worth the wait ;)

Deb said...

Your work is beautiful! I've enjoyed visiting your blog!

Christy DeKoning said...

Kim thanks for stopping in with your lovely comments. I had much better luck commenting on your blog yesterday (I left a pretty dull comment because I was just testing the waters so to speak)

Christy DeKoning said...

Deb, so nice of you to stop by all the way from Virginia. It's always great to see new faces on my blog. I enjoyed viewing your photos today too.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Oh my...no worries!!!!

:)

twiddlestix said...

Christy, that painting is really adorable... such talent!

susan said...

I Am the very very lucky client that this most talented and beautiful human being Christy Dekoning painting this 'Ducklings and umbrellas' for. We LOVE everything she paints. And want more from her. My daughter loves this painting, as well as all of the paintings that Christy has done for us. One of a home we hope to sell,one of our oldest daughtes VW, our chruch, my sea shore pictures, oh this makes me want more of her paintings just thinking about it. Thank You Christy Dekoning! Your heart felt ministry in this world through your heartful and artful talents causes love and happiness and Joy all around.
<: the knicekrbocker family and fans of Christy's