Saturday, June 14, 2008

Work-in-progress...corn still life

I'm really pleased with the way my corn painting is coming along. Last post, I showed you my quick painting done outside. Now I've moved inside, and things are moving right along. I just love all the little tassels and strings - they provide such interesting shapes and contrast against the dark background.

I didn't use any masking fluid on this to preserve the white tassels, I just painted around them. A great exercise to be sure. As you can see, I'm working top-to-bottom, with a lot of washes and glazing. Once I decided where to leave the white highlights, I painted the rest of the corn in the basket with a mix of gamboge, quinacridone gold, phthalo blue and winsor green. The background colors are Alizarin Crimson, Violet Lake & Phthalo blue. I've used a touch of Opera Rose on the corn for a color punch, and I'll be dropping in bits of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna along the way when needed (the metal on the basket handle is a mix of ultramarine and burnt sienna).


Karen Faulkner said...

Gorgeous!! I love the background color.

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks so much Karen! It feels like I'm working on a stained glass mosaic at times, all the different geometric shapes. The challenge for me now is making sure that it doesn't become a mess - I want to maintain a certain unity & containment inside the basket.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Yes, it's about those white tassels of the answered my initial question of 'how did she do that'...very intricate...beautiful contrast of the background w/ the it!!!

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Amy. It wasn't until I added the pink to the corn kernels that things really started to come together.

As for choosing the background color, btw, I took a photo of the sketch after I applied a bit of color to the corn, and then transferred the image to PhotoShop. Then I used the "Fill" tool to experiment with different background colors till I found a combination that I loved. It took a way a certain amount of guesswork, and I didn't waste any valuable paint!