Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Work-in-progress for my Ontario Rural Living Art

Yesterday my youngest son and I went for a cruise into our rural surroundings. We stopped at a market and admired the flowers....

We picked up a bushel of corn...

We took photos of the girls unloading more fresh goodies...

And then we got McDonald's for lunch (hee hee...the healthy food only goes so far). The little guy was so pooped out from all the fun that he fell asleep with a half-eaten burger in his hand. So when we got home, he went upstairs for a nap and I took my bounty outside to our patio.

Armed with a limited pallette of Alizarin crimson, New Gamboge, Burnt Sienna and Pthalo blue, I did a rough plein air sketch of the corn to get a handle on the subject matter. This is the result of yesterday's naptime paint (still unfinished, of course...)



But by last night, I was thinking...I don't want to just paint corn and cornfields and tractors. It really is NOT my style. So I started thinking about how I could incorporate my love of painting people and children into the Rural Living theme. I re-read the news clipping, and found that the aim of the show is to encourage Canadian artists to "bring the outside in" in expressing their reaction to their rural surroundings. Sounds like a load of blarney to me (I wasn't feeling too philosophical last night, obviously) so I thought "hey, I can bring the outside in"...I'll just paint a portrait of a young fellow bringing in the corn!

So here is my work-in-progress titled "Bringing the Outside In"


Comments are always welcome and appreciated!

4 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

I love it! your rural surroundings are beautiful and so is your son. He does tend to steal the scene from the corn in this painting though.

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks Karen!

Yes, I know as soon as you add a human or animal element,there goes your focus...but in this case, that's my intention.

What I've done since my last post though is scrap the doorway and make it a barn door or a porch (not sure which yet) so that the landscape goes off to the left, leaving the boy off-centre. I'll post my next steps soon.

twiddlestix said...

Christy, the painting is beautiful...what a gorgeous son you have!

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Great pics Christy....your son, I'll bet as sweet as the fresh corn...now, bring THAT one inside!!!..love the painting...