Thursday, June 19, 2008
Rural Landscape painting in the works
After all the detail involved in the corn painting I just finished, I felt like I needed a break. So today I flipped through some photos I took a few weeks ago, looking for inspiration for a rural landscape painting.
I was drawn to the tree and foreground in this photo, but I didn't want another boring blue sky.
So I roughly sketched in the buildings in the background and set to work wetting the paper all over, leaving only the buildings dry. I wasn't too concerned about leaving sharp edges on the buildings, because I wanted a loose feel with the colors. I charged my brush with New Gamboge first, then Quinacridone Rose, followed by Ultramarine Blue. I moved the paper around a bit to let it all meld together and guide the flow somewhat.
I added more pink to the area above the buildings, then dabbed in the trees with a mix of violet and ultramarine. I painted around a few strands of grass in the background trees to deal with later.
After laying down another yellow wash in the foreground, I added some Quinacridone Gold to the mix - I love this color - when a lot of water is added, it's a great yellow, but the less water, the more it turns into a golden straw color. Very, very rich.
I went to work on the tree last, letting different values of green mix together on the paper. Darker Phthalo blue and violet were added to the top leaves to create a sense of depth.
So this is where I've left it, because the whole painting is still a little bit damp and it needs to dry out completely before the next step: Masking Fluid!
I'll be "painting" blades of grass and wheat with masking fluid right over the golden foreground, then I can apply a few more washes of green right over the mask, let it dry, and remove the mask to reveal the golden fronds. I love this part because you never really know how the finished painting will turn out!