Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rural Landscape painting in the works


After all the detail involved in the corn painting I just finished, I felt like I needed a break. So today I flipped through some photos I took a few weeks ago, looking for inspiration for a rural landscape painting.

I was drawn to the tree and foreground in this photo, but I didn't want another boring blue sky.
So I roughly sketched in the buildings in the background and set to work wetting the paper all over, leaving only the buildings dry. I wasn't too concerned about leaving sharp edges on the buildings, because I wanted a loose feel with the colors. I charged my brush with New Gamboge first, then Quinacridone Rose, followed by Ultramarine Blue. I moved the paper around a bit to let it all meld together and guide the flow somewhat.

I added more pink to the area above the buildings, then dabbed in the trees with a mix of violet and ultramarine. I painted around a few strands of grass in the background trees to deal with later.

After laying down another yellow wash in the foreground, I added some Quinacridone Gold to the mix - I love this color - when a lot of water is added, it's a great yellow, but the less water, the more it turns into a golden straw color. Very, very rich.

I went to work on the tree last, letting different values of green mix together on the paper. Darker Phthalo blue and violet were added to the top leaves to create a sense of depth.

So this is where I've left it, because the whole painting is still a little bit damp and it needs to dry out completely before the next step: Masking Fluid!

I'll be "painting" blades of grass and wheat with masking fluid right over the golden foreground, then I can apply a few more washes of green right over the mask, let it dry, and remove the mask to reveal the golden fronds. I love this part because you never really know how the finished painting will turn out!

7 comments:

Germz said...

Wow that is beautiful I should add one of those to my site.

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you for stopping by Germz, I'm glad you like it!

* mY fRiEnDs cALL mE Rella * said...

HOLY MOLY!! Brilliant piece I cannot wait to see more. I so adore how you share your process.

~ Best ~ Rella

* mY fRiEnDs cALL mE Rella * said...

Christy ~ do you scan your work in or photograph? I have tried both, but your posts and pictures are so clear. I am doing somthing wrong for sure.

Thanks ~ Rella

Artbeat said...

Christy I love the process you go through on your paintings, the photo original and the finished work show the true brilliance of your work.

I always look forward to your next creation

Christy DeKoning said...

Rella, thank you for your comments today. I like to take photographs, with a digital camera set to "macro" so that I can get really close to the subject. I had one painting digitally scanned at a print shop, and I wasn't impressed because the colors were washed out. I think now, that if I had asked for the digital file after it was scanned (but before it was printed) that I could have adjusted the colors in Photoshop and been really pleased. But when it is just for small printing (8x10 or less) I always photograph the painting myself - outside, in really good lighting.

Christy DeKoning said...

Caroline, thank you for dropping in and sharing your thoughts. I'm so happy that you appreciate my paintings!