Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

New Painting: "Sunday Morning" small town series


After my last failed rural painting, I decided that I needed to paint what I'm familiar with, and what I like. No more fussing around with rural landscapes that don't "speak to me".

I've always been drawn to interesting architectural details, and the small city I live in has some beauties! Here is my new painting "Sunday Morning", featuring our great landmark: St. Joseph's Cathedral.

I have taken a lot of artistic license with this - I intentionally painted the side street buildings in the same hues as the street and sky, so that I could give this piece a bold punch of color for the cathedral. I've woven the hues together with touches of cadmium red on the lamp post sign, the flowers and the foreground figures.

The placement of the figures and the birds all draw the eye inward to the focal point.

I am sorry to say that this piece came together rather quickly, and I didn't take any work-in-progress" photos to share with you. But I will include a rather murky reference photo that I took a few nights ago (through my car windshield, while stopped to make a right turn!) to compose my initial sketch from:

8 comments:

* mY fRiEnDs cALL mE Rella * said...

Now I feel like I am 'stalking' today. Can you tell am housebound due to triple digit temps and the computer stays on all day?

Anyhow, thank you so much for your responses and the time you take here on your blog to share what you know and what you continue to learn. The new piece makes me happy..what a delightful piece of architecture for you to see all the time!

~ Rella

Liz said...

You do amazing work so much detail in you painting. You paintings show how much you enjoy it.

SueEllen Cowan said...

Well done Christy! I like this one and you are so right the red gives it just the right punch of bold color.

TheRagtreeCompany said...

I think you captured the scene very well! Great job!

K. Turple said...

I love your work! I've passed a couple awards onto you! More info is available on my blog, http://www.kaysk9s.blogspot.com

- Kay

Kim said...

this is lovely Christy..
I love the stylized figures and the mood of the painting :)
as for your landscape !!
I think you're being too hard on yourself ..
I think it's b####y brilliant...
the colours and composition are excellent :)

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you all so much for stopping by and leaving your comments. I've been away from the blog this week, but I'll try to catch up over the next few days.

clockworkpink2 said...

Wow. I really like this painting! I like the tree in the foreground and the building in the background with the big sky to take up that space.