Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Faerie with Pink Hair


I had so much fun this afternoon. I know I should have been working on my current commission (an 8x11 of 2 young boys due for Father's Day) but the desire to create something fun and new was too strong.

For the past several years, I've focused almost all of my time and energy towards painting portraits. It is a wonderful career, and I have no complaints. BUT...as a result I haven't been true to my inner (faerie) creative self. The part of me that just wants to paint big funky eyes whatever color I want! So today I visited a blog about making fairy dolls: The Faerie Keeper. And I was so inspired that I pushed aside my work-in-progress and started sketching this Faerie.

I had barely drawn in the lightest details when I couldn't wait any longer - out came the yellows & blues to drop into those big big eyes. Swirling watercolors - I love it!

I had no idea where I was going with the hair, so I just started painting section by section using mostly a combination of cadmium red (my son's favorite color to paint with) and quinacridone rose. The mix of warm and cool pink was just what my soul needed today.

I'm going to finish my commission this week, and then be painting faeries for the rest of June I suspect!

6 comments:

Amy Lilley Designs said...

She's a rock star!!!...miss all you gals!!!!

nanjodogz said...

Beautiful artwork!

:-) MaryLou said...

Wow! I really love the way her eye looks. And the hair color is great. :-)

anabellster said...

this is nice. i adore the vibrant colors. :D

* mY fRiEnDs cALL mE Rella * said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I just love her!!! You captured her mischievous nature. Bella!!!

Today she is in a dreamy, chatty mood...come on over and visit her...Faeries gather.

The Faerie Keeper xo

TheRagtreeCompany said...

I love it! I have been putting off a custom piece FOREVER because I keep getting sidetracked, but isn't it worth it???

Great job!