Pages

Friday, May 30, 2008

Yupo projects: butterfly on a blue daisy

I've been a little awol on the blog front lately. Commissioned portraits have kept me busy (Father's Day is coming up and I took on some last-minute paintings). Now, normally I'd be blogging and showing the process, but every painting is a gift - so I can't really publish them until after Father's Day.

With not many options left to blog about, I thought I'd share with you this little butterfly I painted on Yupo a few weeks ago. The paper was perfect for achieving the glassy transparent quality I wanted on the golden wings! I simply drew the butterfly with Indian Ink, then wet the area inside the wings, dropped in shades of new gamboge and vermillion, then let it swirl around a bit. Tada! Fabulous Wings in an instant (or two). I added the black ink details to the wings after the paint dried. A little rough, a little sketchy, but a lot of fun.

I was lucky and sold this one within the first week. I'll definitely be painting more butterflies on Yupo!

4 comments:

Marsha Robinett said...

This is a nice change from your usual style...did you enjoy working on Yupo? I've thought often of picking up a sheet or pad. You've inspired me, think I'll order some next time I order paper.

Christy DeKoning said...

Marsha, I found the texture quite tricky but a lot of fun for one simple reason: if you mess up, you can add a whole lot of water to it, change it around, and start over - without any ripples or bubbles. No taping required!

Kim said...

absolutely lovely Christy !!
the delicacy of the wings and the contrast between the blue and yellow is wonderful :)

Karen Faulkner said...

very fresh and pretty! It kind of has the look of vellum, that Yupo surface.