Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sunday Dinner - Portrait of a Great Grandmother

I just finished a rather challenging piece today. I was sent an old photograph of this fascinating lady, and asked to create a lasting memory from it.

Wow... no pressure there lol.


I had a hard time viewing details, which at first was a struggle for me, until I just threw in the towel and started laying down layers.

I was very wise to choose Permanent Rose over Quinacridone or Alizarian Crimson for that lovely peachy glow, because in the end I had to lift some of it out! Yes, I got a little carried away with it and had too many layers messing it up. So I used my flat 1/2 inch and clear water to gently lift the pigment off the left side of the face.

Permanent Rose is much more forgiving when any
lifting is needed - it is non-staining and comes right off. Of course, that also means that this painting is exceptionally water-soluble! I'll include a note to that effect when it ships so that it is framed right away.

I wish I had taken a "before" photo to show the difference, but let's just say that it was the "lift" this portrait needed.


No comments: