Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"Huh?"...having fun with colour and cats in ACEO


So far what I'm enjoying most about ACEO size paintings is the freedom to "just paint something" - anything that comes to mind. Of course, cats are selling, so I'm liking that too. This is Zeus the Bengal from a photo I took when our Bengal Boys were kittens (we have two Bengal cats, plus two more cats that are "their own pedigree")

One of my favorite colors is Cerulean Blue. It's one of the few colors that I love to lay down straight out of the tube without mixing. I love the pure color - either solid or watered down - it has a sort of comic book feel to it! It also shows off warm neutral colors to perfection.


Here I've added more pen & ink details, too. I rarely, if ever, add ink to my commissioned work or portraits, but when I'm left on my own out it comes. I picked up this 4-piece set of Faber-Castell PITT artist pens in January and have been enjoying the "S" and "F" tips (the skinny little ones) the most. The set also came with medium and bold points, but I haven't found much use for them as yet.

Maybe I will play with a full pen & ink architecture piece one of these days.

2 comments:

Rob Burkhard said...

Christy
I am a big fan of ink and watercolor together. The contrast between the two mediums is very interesting. This AECO really caught my attention, probally because of the hint of orange in the cat against the brillant blue background. Looking forward to whatever comes off your palette next!
Rob

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks Rob - I'm eagerly awaiting your next project too!