Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

House portrait in watercolor and indian ink

I haven't spent a lot of time in the blogosphere yet this week. The reason? Commissions. Houses (see above - a small 5x7 commission) , lakes, pets, children...

As an artist, commissions are often the "bread and butter" of our job. I love to be busy creating new works of art (read: getting paid), however the desire to please the client is always at the back of my mind, niggling with little things like:

"will they appreciate the use of colour here?"... "I think this painting needs ink, but will the client agree?"..."does the client own a BB gun?" (read: should I include little birds or squirrels in the painting)

And of course, painting commissioned portraits takes valuable time away from me, which in turn is why I've never created "that most awe-inspiring award-winning amazing painting in the world"

(or, it could simply be my excuse for creative laziness this week)

2 comments:

twiddlestix said...

Fun post! I love this painting...very pretty. And someday you will paint that masterpiece! ;) You are really talented.

Christy DeKoning said...

thanks :-)