Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Demonstration - Canna Lily step by step

I recently finished an 8x8 painting of a Canna Lily, titled "Late Bloomer" because when I took the photo last fall, it was September and my Cannas were still putting on a spectacular show.

Step 1: After laying down the initial sketch in pencil (I used the "grid" system and separated my paper into 4 quadrants to maintain aspect ratio) I then developed my palette, to better understand value relationships and cool-to-warm ratios. My palette here consists of Winsor Yellow (cool), New Gamboge (warm), Viridian & Cadmium red & orange (warm), Alizarin Crimson (cool) and Violet Lake (cool). I added Winsor Green to develop the final dark shadows.

Step 2: I laid down a wash of cool yellow, followed by wet-in-wet of warm yellow. A little more wet-in-wet of cadmium red on the outer petals.

Steps 3 & 4: Allowing each layer to dry, I began the process of building up the red values, going from warm to cool.

Step 5: At this point, I needed to see what my contrast would be like once I added the deep background. I mixed up Violet Lake, Alizarin Crimson and Winsor Green and laid down a wash using very little water.

Step 6: After allowing that layer to dry, I could see where I needed to deepen the warm & cool shadows on the Canna. Then it was time to put my paints away and stop before I muddied it up!

2 comments:

Marsha Robinett said...

Christy,
Beautiful Canna Lily and great watercolor demonstration. Well done on both parts. Your use of light and shadow is perfect.

twiddlestix said...

Christy, this is beautiful. I love seeing the process!