Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

A Bug in my Head


I've been experiencing problems uploading photos lately, and it has not made me a happy blogger. When time is short, it seems that every little thing takes so much longer, doesn't it? So if you please, simply click on the links in this post to view the images on Flikr.

Anyway, my weekend work consisted of 2 major accomplishments.

First, I finished the painting of a VW bug for a lovely client way out west in beautiful Puget Sound, Washington. I'm really happy with the way the background turned out - light falling on the distant landscape. Also, I was a bit worried about featuring the blue bug in front of the blue water, and needed to make sure I had a good contrast. Adding a small amount of Alizarian Crimson in the shadows of the car took care of all my concerns. The tree in the right side of the painting was a big blob at first that I was so disappointed with. I lifted as much as I could, but it stained quite a bit. I had a closer look at my reference photo and saw that there was a fence leading down to the water - what a great idea! I added in the fence, deepened the shadows, and voila! Much, much better.

Second order of the day was digging out a landing spot for my husband's car! After a huge dumping of snow on Saturday, I hadn't even bothered to open our front door. Until it occurred to me late in the afternoon that Drew would be home from work soon and might want to park somewhere. What a funny sight we all were - my 2 boys helping me as we scooped and shoveled and made our way slowly from the front door to the driveway. I must say, my muscles were a little sore on Sunday!

8 comments:

katelynjane said...

I wish I could see that picture of the bug! It's not showing up on my computer...I've had trouble with this as well lately. Your work is amazing!! I've seen you on Etsy and just love it! I'm going to fuel your blog asap (:

Christy DeKoning said...

Thank you Katelynjane - I have fixed this problem for now by adding links to my Flikr.

Please do take a look!

katelynjane said...

I love that Bug!! For some reason the shadowing on the tires is really jumping out at me (: I love it!! Thanks for posting the link (:

katelynjane said...

Ps: If you'd like a better picture of my chair, or want to steal the one on my blog to paint, go right ahead!! I'd be honoured!

twiddlestix said...

I love that bug too!! Wow what a great painting. You are amazing!

twiddlestix said...

I' baaack! ;) Christy, did you know you are the "blog of the day" on Fuelmyblog?! I just was there and your face was starting back at me! Congrats!!

Christy DeKoning said...

Thanks Katelynjane - I can work from the photo on your blog just fine. Much appreciated!

Christy DeKoning said...

Yeah - blog of the day! Isn't it exciting? Well, for me it is anyway.

I get to put a little award photo up on my blog today :-)